A Magento 2 Configurable Product resembles a simple product but allows for displaying a drop-down list with options for each variation of the product. Magento allows you to associate different Simple Products to a Configurable Product in order to achieve these variations.
Creating a Configurable Product is easy. To do so, simply login to your Magento Admin Panel and head into Catalog -> Products. Click on the arrow next to Add Product and select Configurable Product.
From here, select the Attribute Set you'd like your product to have, give it a cool Name, and set a Price. You'll also need to set the Quantity if the product is in stock. We'll also go ahead and assign it to a Category, and set the Visibility to Catalog, Search if you want that to be searchable, and show up on your Category Pages.
After we have the attributes for the product configured, we'll need to create some Configurations. Scroll down to the Configurations tab and hit Create Configurations.
You'll be prompted with a pop-out screen that consists of a few steps. They are as follows:
1. Select Attributes - In this step, we select the attributes that apply to our product. In our example, we'll be selecting Color and Size. You can also create new attributes that you'd like to use from here.
2. Attribute Values - This step allows us to choose the values of the attributes selected in Step 1. For the Color attribute, we'll be selecting Black, Green, and Red. For Size, we'll go with 55cm and 6 foot.
3. Bulk Images, Price and Quantity - This step lets us know how many Simple Products will be created based on our configuration. The selections we've made in the example will lead to 6 new products being created. We can now upload images, set the Price, and determine the Quantity for each individual product. We'll be skipping that for now, as those can be changed later quite easily.
4. Summary - The fourth and final step provides us with a brief overview of the new Simple Products associated with our Configurable, based on the attributes and variations we've configured. All that's left is to click Generate Products to have those created.
After Magento has finished generating our Simple Products, we'll be able to see them listed under the Configurations section. They'll also show up in the list of the main products under Catalog -> Products, listed as Simple Products.
You might want to take some time to complete the information in the other sections if needed:
- Related Products, Up-Sells, and Cross-Sells
- Search Engine Optimization
- Customizable Options
- Products in Websites
- Gift Options