First of all, what is Magento 2?
Magento is an online store platform based on open source technology. Magento is a content management platform for your online store that allows the user to control the settings of the website, the plugins, the display and the functionalities. Magento provides powerful marketing tools, search engine optimization and catalog management tools.
Using Magento to create an online store has the following benefits:
- SEO administration, for better indexing in search engines
- personalized shopping cart
- flexible system of coupons and prices
- reporting and analysis system
- administration of the product catalog
- optimized for iPhone
- tracking orders
- product search, image zoom
- supports multiple languages and currency types
If you are new to eCommerce and Magento, there is a lot to learn. In this article, we will give you an overview of how to install the data sample in Magento 2.
What is Magento sample data?
Examples of data provided by Magento include a showcase using the Luma theme, presented with products (more than 250 products), categories, promotional pricing rules, etc. This data saves merchants a lot of time when creating a test showcase, because it works exactly like a Magento showcase.
How to install sample data on Magento 2?
In addition to installing the data sample with the installation of Magento, you can still add the data sample to your site after configuring the software.
There are two main ways to do this: 1. using Composer and 2. cloning storage
Installing the data sample with Composer
This method is applicable to both Magento Open Source and Magento Commerce. You can use composer to install the sample date after Magento, the same authentication keys (access keys) that are used to install Magento must be used.
Steps to install Magento 2 using Composer:
Step 1:You need to select a solution:
There are some solutions you can get started:
- Install from Zip file: it is an easy installation, with no command line.
- Metapackage: Use Composer to install Magento
Before you continue, make sure you’ve finished all of the following:
- Set up a server that meets our system requirements
- Create the Magento file system owner
Step 2: Install Magento 2 Step by Step
- Download Magento packages – https://magento.com/tech-resources/download
- Upload to your server
- Update permission
- Running the Magento Setup Wizard
- Finish installation process
ATTENTION!!! If you encounter errors any displayed, you must resolve them before you continue. You need to click “MORE DETAIL” in case is available, to see more information about each check.
Complete the sample data installation
After you download the sample data packages, log in to your Magento server as, or switch to, the Magento file system owner and enter the following command in <magento_root> folder:
If you followed all the steps, go to the frontend and backend to see the result.