What is Magento?
Magento is an open-source e-commerce platform written in PHP. It uses multiple other PHP frameworks such as Laminas and Symfony. Magento source code is distributed under Open Software License (OSL) v3.0.
Overview of Magento2
Magento provides two distinct platforms: Magento Open Source and Magento Commerce. The latter is available in an on-premises version (previously Magento Enterprise Edition) or as a platform-as-a-service (previously Magento Enterprise Cloud Edition). There were also two former platforms, Magento Professional Edition, and Magento Go.
Magento Open Source
Magento Open Source is an open-source eCommerce platform. Developers can implement the core files and extend their functionality by adding new plug-in modules provided by other developers.
Magento Commerce is an eCommerce platform as a service. Magento 2 has many new and improved features, developer tools, and its architecture is quite different from all the previous versions.
What is new about Magento 2?
The integration of the modules will be much simplified and will offer new functionalities, unlike Magento 1, where the modules sometimes came into conflict with others. This will no longer be the case since Magento will apply a much stricter quality testing process. These changes will make online commerce stores built in Magento much more stable.
For the first time, Magento sets standards for modules built by third parties. Developers who produce modules for Magento 2 will be able to sell them directly from the platform. However, before marketing, Magento will check to what extent they are in line with the new standards. In this way, we can be 100% confident in the modules we purchase. Often in Magento 1, modules had to go through an internal testing process before they could be integrated. Magento 2 supports the latest versions of PHP, the programming language in which most of Magento is written.
WHY SHOULD YOU CHOOSE MAGENTO 2?
- New technologies: PHP 7.1 and newer versions of MySql help increase performance and security;
- Magento 2 uses jQuery instead of Prototype.js;
- FPC and the possibility of integration with existing Varnish from the start;
- SHA-256 algorithms for passwords, so passwords stored in the database are less vulnerable to certain types of attacks;
- ‘Instant purchase’ mode, or buy on the spot. It greatly speeds up the process of placing an order. A customer does not necessarily have to go through all the steps of completing the order. If you already have payment methods and preferred addresses for invoicing / delivery, the order can be placed directly, directly;
- The order completion process is from the start, very ok. On Magento 1, it was a bit weak in terms of ease of use by the customer and conversion rate (obviously, there are ‘one step checkout’ extensions for Magento 1.9 that address this issue);
- The order completion process allows the customer from the beginning to start placing the order as a visitor and to make an account while placing the order;
- Add to cart as Ajax (without reloading the entire page);
- New administration panel, simplified in terms of navigation and a little friendlier;
- More reports in the administration part;
- Simplified product addition, and now we can upload videos from the start for each product;
- Ability to customize certain columns in the administration panel. For example in the customer viewing part, we can choose which columns we want to be displayed;
- Integrated from the start with PayPal, Braintree, Atuhorize.net, WorldPay, Dotmailer, and other services;
- Better support for B2B stores starting with version 2.2.x;
- More efficient/good searches in the store, due to the possibility of integration with Elasticsearch.
How to install the Magento 2 extension
SOLUTION 1: HOW TO INSTALL MAGENTO 2 EXTENSION VIA COMPOSER CLI COMMANDS
Before installing please check the extension compatibility. We recommend installing the extension first on a testing server before you install it on a live (production) server.
Make sure you have your Magento Marketplace Authentication Keys configured on the Magento instance. If your keys are not added, check the Magento Documentation for more information about how to add those.
Access the root of your Magento 2 project from the command line and run the following commands:
composer require weltpixel/module-advance-category-sorting
php bin/magento setup:upgrade
php bin/magento setup:di:compile
php bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy -f
Wooohoo! The extension is installed on your Magento store.
SOLUTION 2: WELTPIXEL 1 MINUTE INSTALLATION GUI
First, you need to check the extension compatibility before installing. We recommend installing the extension first on a testing server before you install it on a live (production) server.
You need to copy the extension files to the below paths of your Magento 2 instance. If the ‘app/code/WeltPixel’ folder is missing, please create it manually:
In the root of your Magento installation, please copy the installation GUI folder 'weltpixel-extension-installation'. In some Magento configurations, the public root folder may be under the 'pub' directory.
Open your browser and go to www.yourmagentostore.com/weltpixel-extension-installation/ and simply follow the installation steps from the graphical interface, presented in your browser. See the installation video: 1 Minute Module Installation via browser GUI.
Yaaaaay! The extension is now installed on your Magento store.
SOLUTION 3: HOW TO INSTALL MAGENTO 2 EXTENSION VIA SSH.
Before installing Advance Category Sorting Extension on a Magento 2 store please check the extension compatibility. It is recommended to install the extension first on a testing server before you install it on a live (production) server.
Copy the extension files to the below paths of your Magento 2 instance. If the ‘app/code/WeltPixel’ folder is missing, please create it manually:
Access the root of your magento 2 project from command line and run the following commands:
php bin/magento module:enable WeltPixel_Backend --clear-static-content
php bin/magento module:enable WeltPixel_AdvanceCategorySorting --clear-static-content
php bin/magento setup:upgrade
Flush any cache that you might still have enabled on your server or in Magento.
Yaaayy, the extension is installed!
SOLUTION 4: HOW TO INSTALL THE MAGENTO 2 EXTENSION VIA WEB SETUP WIZARD
1. In order to begin the installation process, please sign in to your Magento MarketPlace account and go to My Profile > Select Purchase History > Click Install button on that page.
2. You need to make sure that you have created Access Keys for your Magento account. Go to My Profile > Select access keys > Click Create a New Access Key > Add a name for the access key > Click OK
3. In the next step, you need to login to your store admin panel and go to System > Web Setup Wizard(Deprecated)
4. You need to go to System > Web Setup Wizard(Deprecated) > Extension Manager > Click to Sign In > Paste your Public key and Private key in the corresponding fields. Note: If your page is taking too long, you need to refresh the page. If you are already signed in Magento, you don’t need to sign in again.
5. In order to synchronize your purchases from WeltPixel Marketplace with your Magento installation, click refresh. Now you will see that you have the newly purchased extensions ready to install. You can click Review and Install and you will be redirected to the Extension Manager page. Then you can select what extension you want to install.
6. Select the module and click to Install.
7. In order to proceed with STEP 1 of the installer, click on the NEXT button. Now the installer will start to check your environment for the correct PHP version, PHP extensions, Cron, file permission, and compatibility. Before installing any extension, we recommend creating a backup.
8. Finally, click Next on all three steps and the module will be successfully installed. Note: If the readiness check fails, first you need to try verifying that the Cron Jobs are running, and fixing this may also solve remaining PHP check failures. You need to follow the links provided for the type of error you receive. Contact your system administrator to properly setup Cron Jobs for your store.
9. Your installation process takes about 5 minutes. Your store will be unavailable during the process. Wait until you are redirected to the SUCCES page.
10. Then here we are!!! The extension is finally installed!
Conclusions about Magento 2
- It is the future of the Magento platform, it is more secure and fast - new technologies;
- Lots of new features, interesting for both customers and operators or administrators;
- Think about whether the store needs a facelift/redesign if you are still migrating to Magento 2;
- If you don't want stress with updates, they will probably be frequent and in case of new functionalities it may not be very simple, use a maintenance plan with confidence;
- Magento is going in a very interesting direction (in the good sense of the word);